The small principality of Andorra selected its participant for Eurovision Song Contest 2008 by using an internal selection. This selection process was criticized by the Association of Andorran Musicians (ASMA) who believed that abandoning the national selection process in favor of an internal selection effectively blocks the public participation of Andorran artists. Nevertheless, RTVA announced that Andorra would be represented by former Operación Triunfo contestant, Gisela. On 10 December 2007, the Andorran television broadcaster held a press conference to present Gisela and to announce that the Jordi Cubino composed « Casanova » would be the Andorran theme in Belgrade. The entry in its entirety was presented through the promotional video that aired on February 26, 2008.
At Eurovision, Andorra took part in the first semi-final on 20 May 2008. « Casanova » was sung in English with one line in Catalan. Gisela stated that the Eurovision performance would be « innovative and surprising » and that the song would receive a promotional tour across Europe. The Department of Tourism of the Andorran Government pledged €31,000 for the production of the country’s promotional video.
Andorra was not among the ten countries that qualified for the final, placing 16th with 22 points.
Points awarded by Andorra
|2 points||San Marino|
|12 points||10 points||8 points||7 points||6 points|
|5 points||4 points||3 points||2 points||1 point|
- « Andorran musicians against internal selection ». Esctoday (English)
- « Gisela officially presented as Andorra’s entrant ». Esctoday (English)
- « Gisela to sing ‘Casanova’ in Belgrade ». Archived November 23, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Oikotimes (English)
- « Casanova videoclip release date announced ». Archived November 23, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Oikotimes (English)
- « €31,000 pledged for Gisela’s preview video for Eurovision 2008 ». Archived November 23, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Oikotimes (English)
- « Voting Eurovision Songcontest 2008 Andorra ». Retrieved 2008-05-07.
(Note: Entries scored out are when Andorra did not compete)